Hello and welcome to Tech Overwrite! I’m Tristan Perry. I have been building websites and computers since a very young age (10 or 11, IIRC) and my ‘professional’ background is in software development. However after a decade of developing software commercially, I decided to have a change and I’m now a content creator. Read more about me.
What I Cover
My goal with Tech Overwrite is to cover any and all ‘techy’ topics, but with a specific focus on PC hardware, software, gaming and networking. So far I have covered the following topics on this blog (click the image to view my articles on that topic):
My Home PC Setup
I discussed my home computer/networking setup in a video earlier this year:
The TL;DR is that my PC’s specs are:
- Case: Corsair Carbide 88R MicroATX
- Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
- Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4 3200MHz
- GPU: AMD Sapphire RX 6700XT 12GB
- Storage: 2x WD Black SN850 M.2 SSDs Gen4 w/ aftermark ELUTENG heatsinks
- PSU: Corsair RM750x White
Since filming the video above, I moved home and my home network now includes:
- CAT6 and CAT7 cables throughout the property, including in my detached garage and loft.
- 4x Eero Pro 6 routers, all using wired backhaul for gigabit speeds internally.
- A 550 Mbps external ISP connection.
I aim to post 1-3 times a week, and my most recent posts can be seen below:
- DDR5: How Hot Is “Too Hot”? (Does DDR5 Need Special Cooling Or Heatsinks?)DDR5 is here and – thankfully – cheaper than ever. This has led to lots of PC builders wondering if they should finally upgrade to DDR5 RAM. However some early adopters of DDR5 memory complained that their RAM was “overheating” … Read more
- 10 Awesome (Non-Storage) Uses For A NASA NAS (network attached storage) isn’t JUST for saving and accessing files. A good NAS can actually support a lot more – from hosting websites to being a digital document management system. I personally use my NAS as a CCTV … Read more
- Does Steam Download In Sleep Mode? How To Properly Download Games OvernightSo many PC games nowadays are 100 GB or more, including Balder’s Gate 3 that is a 122 GB download. This means that if your internet connection only offers a 20 Mbit/second download rate, the game will take a whopping … Read more
- Should We All Give In & Upgrade To Windows 11? Why I Prefer It To Windows 10With the ‘end of support’ period for Windows 10 approaching rapidly (Microsoft have said this will happen in October 2025), an increasing number of people are asking whether they should upgrade to Windows 11. I actually upgraded to Windows 11 … Read more
- Why I Dislike The Windows 11 Taskbar (Short Video)Overall I like Windows 11, but they seriously messed up the taskbar. Microsoft decided to FIX it to the bottom of the screen. You can’t move it. In this short video I discuss what you CAN now do with the … Read more
- Is “Fanboyism” Actually A GOOD Thing For The PC Industry?!Many people in technology rightly point to really toxic comments and behaviors from a small majority of fans – whether that’s “AMD Fanboys” or Intel/NVIDIA fans. Clearly toxic behaviour is always wrong, but can generally “fanboyism” actually be a force … Read more
- Fix Windows 11’s ANNOYING Right Click Menu (How To Always Show 7Zip Without “Show More Options”)When I set-up a new PC, I always used to install Notepad++ and 7Zip. Unfortunately when I moved to Windows 11 two years ago, both of these programs were hidden away. Right clicking files would just present me with a … Read more
- I FINALLY Cable Managed My PC… With PVC Conduit?!?Two years ago when I originally built my 12-core 64GB Ryzen PC, I got right lazy at the end and never got around to cable managing it. Luckily I had a flash of inspiration in a DIY shop, and picked … Read more
- Stop Connecting Your GPU Power Cables Like This! (How To Properly Connect PCIe Cables For Graphics Cards)It’s really easy to accidentally UNDERPOWER your graphics card by using a split pigtail cable (also called y-splitter) for 2 or 3 of the PCIe connections on the GPU. Unfortunately a PCIe cable can supply as little as 150 watts … Read more
- 9 Great Ways To Keep Files Synced Between Two (Or More) Computers & DevicesHouseholds and offices that are packed full of gadgets and computers can be a great thing, but they can also make syncing files between them difficult. For example, you might have some sensitive financial docs on your main home PC, … Read more